Heifer helps families provide for themselves for the long term. We give children all around the world the chance to break the cycle of poverty
4-year-old Soriya holds one of the newest additions to the family flock (with a little help from her Dad, Keng)!
Yanira & Pamela Parada & their cousin Sergio enjoy an açai berry treat. Heifer works with açai harvesters like the Parada family, to ensure they receive fair prices for the fruit they gather & process.
With the Milk for School Project in Tanzania children are receiving milk packets which are helping them stay full and focused throughout the day!
Dan West, an American Farmer served on the front lines of the Spanish Civil war providing relief to weary refugees. He discovered that a single cup of milk was not enough and had a thought: What if they had a whole cow? This “teach a man to fish” philosophy led to the founding of Heifer in 1944, and the idea to enable and empower people still inspires Heifer to this day.
Heifer achieves sustainable change by creating new family businesses and income generation. Their unique approach enhances the capacity of vulnerable small-scale farmers, especially woman, to secure a better life. The foundation of Heifer’s model is to:
- Provide livestock, and training to small scale farmers which generates both food and business income
- Partner with producers, processors, suppliers, distributors and consumers to improve production, markets and better prices.
- Build sustainable communities by passing along the first female offspring of their livestock to neighbors which multiplies the impact 9X to the entire community
- Promote gender equality, empowering woman by encouraging them to be active contributors in their community.
- Teach sustainable environmental practices about water conservation, nutrient recycling, organic fertilizers, wastewater management and energy efficiency.
Heifer has a reputation for excellence, operating efficiently and transparently, enjoying a Platinum rating from Guidestar.